Transferable skills are abilities and skills that are relevant and helpful across different areas of life. All skills and abilities can be transferable, depending on where they are being transferred to and from.
When applying for a job, you should remember that the type of transferable skills you highlight in a letter of application or your CV should be related to the position you are applying for.
Here are some examples of essential skills to mention if you are changing careers or applying for another job.
- Teamwork - Work effectively in a group or team to achieve goals.
- Leadership – Show initiative and leadership abilities.
- Organisation and Time Management – Manage and prioritise your workload and time-effective.
- Communication – Both written and verbal skills and are clear and accurate.
- Professional Development – Know yourself and find ways to develop.
- Problem Solving – Able to identify and solve problems and make decisions.
The above list is just a few examples of transferable skills that are helpful and relevant throughout many different areas.
Think back on your own life and experience to identify other personal skills you possess that are not included here.