How To Increase Your Chances of Success with Applying for Jobs
Submitting a generic curriculum vitae for dozens of different jobs online is a great job search strategy. However, if it’s easy for you to apply for these jobs, then it will be easy for everyone else, so it’s likely that you will be competing with hundreds of other job seekers, especially for entry level jobs.
If you make the effort however, to stand out from the crowd, you may have a better chance of being contacted and even securing an interview.
These five tips can help increase your chances of success when applying:
1. Read the job description carefully. Make sure you have the skills and experience that the employer is looking for, these will be specifically mentioned in the job description. Reflect on previous situations when you showed these relevant skills and behaviours the organisation requires and how you can clearly explain this in your application.
2. Tailor your application. You must tailor your cover letter and CV to the specific role and company, and ensure you include keywords in your application. Numerous online recruiters use IT programs to scan and automatically discard applications that don’t include specific words that are mentioned in the job description.
3. Fill out every field in the application. This is a good way to provide as much information as possible, while also demonstrating your interest and eagerness for the position. Attention to detail is important to make sure your application is complete and error-free, so review your documents with a fine-tooth comb.
4. Review your social media profile. When applying for jobs, make sure you have a positive online presence. Various employers or recruiters will look you up online to confirm the statements you have made in your application. You should check your social media privacy settings to ensure employers can’t access any information you would rather they didn’t see.
5. Triple-check your documents for spelling, content, and grammar mistakes. Review your application before you hit the submit or send button. Once clicked, your information is sent directly to the recruiter or employer. Remember that first impressions count, so make the best one you can when you apply for jobs.